I am a sucker for granola, especially this Aloha Crunch Granola!
I often make my own granola (like my favorite Cherry Almond Granola, Pumpkin Spice Granola or this utterly addictive Pumpkin Seed Cherry Trail Mix). However, I must confess, there is one trail mix at the local Whole Paychex that takes a good chunk out of my wallet whenever I have that craving. Recently, my wallet and budget staged an intervention and showed me the numbers. While I argued that this particular Hawaiian style trail mix was a need, not a want, my wallet and budget reminded me that my shoe shopping would be a thing of the past if I kept buying it at almost $9 a bag. Plus – I know better because I can make it at home on the cheap and customize it to my tastes.
This Aloha Crunch Granola is a homage to that pricey trail mix with some good for you things tossed in the mix like some golden flaxseeds, oat bran, and rolled oats. This granola is delicious sprinkled over oatmeal, in parfaits or even on its own. It’s really a win-win. Just promise me you won’t make the same mistake I did. When I was developing this recipe it took a few times and burning macadamia nuts is a travesty. The amount of cussing that came from my kitchen when I was testing this recipe was a bit *ahem* epic. Apparently, adding the cashews and macadamia nuts at the beginning annihilates them so when I added them at the 15 minute mark it worked well. If your oven runs hot, you might want to add them at 10 minutes.
When you are looking for a delicious Hawaiian inspired granola, make this Aloha Crunch Granola. Your wallet will thank you later!
Let’s get cooking
Gather your ingredients
Mixing together some of the dry ingredients
Macadamia Nuts – how you tempt me so
Off to the oven for the first round of baking
Let’s add the cashews and macadamias
Don’t forget the dried pineapple
Look at this deliciousness
Fabulous over yogurt or for a snack
- 3 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup of slivered almonds
- ½ cup of oat bran
- ½ cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons of golden flaxseeds, optional
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ⅔ cup of maple syrup plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup of macadamia nuts
- 1 cup of cashews
- ½ cup of dried pineapple, diced
- ½ cup of dried cranberries
- Heat your oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the rolled oats, slivered almonds, oat bran, shredded coconut, golden flaxseed, ground ginger, cinnamon and salt with ⅔ cup of maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil until everything is combined.
- Spread out on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, taking care to stir it once or twice with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, toss together the macadamia nuts and cashews with 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- After 15 minutes have passed in the oven, add the nut mixture to the baking sheet and stir to combine.
- Bake for another 10 - 15 minutes until everything is golden.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes on the pan and then remove to a large bowl.
- Toss with the dried pineapple and cranberries and keep in an airtight container for about a week or two (if it lasts that long).
[FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate and/or referral links which help offset the cost of hosting this site. However, as always, my opinions are 100% my own]